Personal Care Kits
When natural disaster strikes or political conflict flares, families often have little chance to gather their belongings before fleeing the danger. They arrive in a refugee camp – or other place of safety – scared, vulnerable, and dirty from travel.
The simple items included in a personal care kit allow them to wash away dirt and sweat with the fresh scent of soap and the softness of a towel – reminders of someone's care and concern for them in their plight.
In the 12 months ending September 30, 2014, the people of St. John's collected, assembled, and shipped 221 personal care kits to the LWR warehouse in New Windsor, Maryland. As of March 1st 2015,
AN ALL TIME RECORD HAS BEEN SET!
Great news for the personal care kit collection—we hit an all time high of 344 Personal Care Kits! Thank you to everyone that helped set this record and your generosity!
Personal care kit collection at St. John's takes place each February. Each kit contains:
- One lightweight bath-size towel, (20" x 40" to 27" x 52") – dark color recommended
- Two bath-size bars (4 to 5 oz.) of soap, any brand, in the original wrapping
- One adult-size toothbrush in its original wrapping
- One sturdy comb – no picks or fine-toothed combs – removed from any packaging
- One metal nail clipper (attached file optional), removed from any packaging
All items should be new and in good condition.